these are my initial plans and ideas for how to make my four creations. Some are successful and some are failures but these are how i planned out some of the process.
I first brought a perspex box with no lid and then I got a perspex sheet and cut a lid out to go onto the box to which I then added hinges so that it can open and close freely. Inside the box i fitted a peice of wood with a short block of wood stuck to it, to the front of the box. On this peice of wood I attached a tiny geared motor with a cam follower which I thought was really cool being so small. Alongside this inside the box are 3 green leds that have been solded to wires to make them longer. The code for the LED makes them pulsate and the geared motor turn repeatedly to allow the cam follower to flip up the lid of the box making it bang down. Then I painted the box black and eched into the paint, vains to show the light of the LED shinning through.
To make the creature I used the Polymorph putty which I found very easy to do and very strong so it wasn’t fragile like the first creature I made using molding clay. I made it in parts and gradually built it up The great thing about it is if there is a part I don’t like I can always heat it up and remold it. I made the head last as I needed to add the LED’s to it and build around it. I had so solder the LED to longer wires so that it would reach out from the Arduino.
Here are the development shots
After I got the “Eye in a box” moving how I wanted with the two servos I then had the problem of covering up the hole that the eye was peeking through without restricting the movement. I then thought about how it would look to make it seem as if the eye had burst thorgh the hole, so I got a piece of plywood and used a chisel on it to splinter the wood showing its layers, then glue that to the front of the hole not completely covering it but enough so the hole is fairy covered. I then painted it in teek to give it a dark wood finish.
Once I printed out the picture I was going to use I carefully cut out the eyes and cut out a section of the back of the picture frame so i could fit eyes throught. I had to choose smaller eyes than last time, these were 3 mm. Again I got some polymorph putty and fitted them around the eyes and to another universal joint. I used to universal joints in creating this picture and again some carbon fibre tubes. I then built a small frame which had a piece of wood at the back which i made 2 holes in to fit the carbon tubes through, I then fitted the Arduino board to the wooden frame I had made and connected a motion sensor and servo. There is only one servo in this Painting setup that controls the movement of both eyes moving them left and right. It is placed in the middle between two peices of wood right in the center of the paintings eyes placed on the frame. Using thin wire which is connected to one side of the servo and then to one eye and the repeated on the other side, the left and right movements can be controlled at the same time. The eyes are secured in place with the piece of the picture frame backing that I had removed earlier. The wooden frame for the servos I made is held in place by glue.
These are diagrams of the circuit used for the “Eye in a box”.
Once the eye and the universal joint were connected I then fitted them to the inside of a wooden box i had brought. to this box I had made a large hole in the front for the eye to to show then using two slats of wood I fitted them inside the box and made a hole going through the front one for the carbon fibre tube to go through. I then cut the carbon fiber down and made it smaller so that it would fit better. I then attached 1 servo per peice of wood and put the eye in place and screwed in 2 hook in the sides of the plastic mounts of the eye and connected a thin peice of wire both going from the servo to the hook on the side of the eye. I had to do this to both servos and connecting them to both hooks so when one servo moved the eye looked one way and when the other another then when they both moved the eye looked around.
Also I thought it would be cool to add sounds so I found a plugin to go on my website and using the horror sound effects I found and edited together a short sound track for my site with ghosts talking and a little child. Alot of the elements I added to my site I found in artisteer like some falling leafs which I felt added to the creepy feel. It will be interesting to see what Mark thinks of it so far, also I added the menu at the top of the page at the header in front of the banner. I won’t do anymore till i hear what Mark thinks.
I’ve purchased the universal joints and have attached the joints to the back of the eye and to a wooden frame inside the box using a carbon fiber rod. I have placed the servo’s in better positions that line up with where they join on the eye and used screw hooks on the eye to allow better movement. This method works alot better and allows me to have the eye placed where I want it.
Here are some pictures and videos of the new universal join setup.
I’ve chosen one of the textures I found to have a go in photoshop of changing it and making my own banner. I decided I wanted the site to have a metal look and though rushed, it is quite creepy as this is going to link with my double project and to do with that these are some of my experiments, I kept trying different things in the banner and in the end added the website name to the banner. I called the site Silent Chronicles, mainly because its a chronicle of horror plus silent sounds scary and links with Silent Hill.